Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Game Theory; Psychology

When you play a game of Warmachine, you simultaneously engage in another game, though many do not realize it. This game is called psychology, and it will make or break a game in seconds. Playing Psychology is also a dangerous game, and you can suffer some real life consequences if you mess it up.
  • A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective.
    - The Art of War
Alright so quoting Sun Tzu is about as unoriginal as it get's, but the man had a lot of things going for him. I've been an active wargamer for fifteen years, so though I'm still new(ish) to Warmachine, I'm a veteran at miniature wargames. This means, that when I face players with years of experience, they tend to underestimate me. These are players with years of Warmachine experience, but when they assume they're in for an easy fight, they loose a game they should have won.
  • For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
    - The Art of War
When playing Psychology it's vitally important that you do not lie. When someone asks me about my Scavengers, I truthfully tell them, that I think they're amazing, but most people on the forums disagree. If someone asks me why I think they're amazing, I will explain it, but they either don't ask. or stop listening after the words melee light jack. Then I lean back, and watch his assumptions cost him a game.
  • If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.
    - The Art of War
As I explained in my article about Water Theory, it will cost you the game to loose your temper. This also means, that making your opponent loose his, is a great way to gain an advantage. In order to do this, you must make very certain that you annoy him on the table. Annoying people away from the table makes you an complete twat, but annoying them on the table is perfectly acceptable. There are thousands of ways this can be achieved, and since the optimal course of action is unique for every opponent, I'll leave that up to you.
  • Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across.
    - The Art of War
 It has won me several games. If you have a close game, then attempt to dictate your opponent actions, by supplying an opportunity that is not quite as golden as it looks. You could give him a way to retreat, and then win on scenario, or give him a poor shot at your caster, which will leave him open if it fails. A miniature wargame is about tactics, armies, dice, and psychology. Your opponent is a mind encased in flesh, and that is the source of his tactics. If you can play with his mind, you can win against any opponent.

Finally... don't be a Twat... It's a game, so keep that in mind. Having friends left, should be considered more important than winning, so keep this game in reserve for important tournaments.
_______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment