Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The hunt is on: Next caster

I usually change casters when I hit around ten or twelve games, so it's time to find someone new. I've gone through eAsphyxious, pDeneghra, Mortenebra, Scaverous, and of course Terminus, but only Terminus really gives me the type of games I'm looking for.
  • pAsphyxious
  • eDeneghra
  • pGoreshade
  • eGoreshade
  • pSkarre
  • eSkarre
  • Venethrax
  • The Coven
That leaves me with this list of casters to choose from, and it needs to be someone survivable with the option for going attrition. I might be in the wrong faction for that, but when we take survivability into account I'll remove anyone with a medium base and no defensive option.
  • eDeneghra
  • pGoreshade
  • eGoreshade
  • pSkarre
  • eSkarre
  • The Coven
pSkarre isn't really my cup of tea, and I sold her anyway, so she's out. I would go with pGoreshade but a rookie in the club just began with him, and so I won't tire people with even more games against him. I can't really see why he's considered a poor caster, so in time I'll get to him.
  • eDeneghra
  • eGoreshade
  • eSkarre
  • The Coven
eSkarre is a boring caster, and eDeneghra won't be a challenge. I could go with eGoreshade, but I'm not sold on him as a caster in general, so I guess it's time to break out The Witch Coven. I'm not sure I like that idea either, but I can't play Terminus forever, and while pSkarre Ships in the Night would be fun, it wouldn't be fun more than a couple of games.

7 comments:

  1. It boggles my mind that you would consider eSkarre boring but somehow simultaneously find yourself unable to put down Terminus. I guess it depends on your definition of "boring"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want attrition, pick eShade. He is a very underestimated caster, but he is the master of banes :) Not so easy as the other casters.
    Coven: Good but also difficult, prob the most from all casters, and requires a lot of practice. Coven is assasination btw.
    If you want a tank like Terminus, pick Venethrax. He collects tons of souls, and camps focus to 30+ arm. Or you can collect tons of souls, sit back, and cast tons of blood rains.
    Read this topic for eShade fun:
    http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?82762-Saving-the-pointy-ears-Eldritch-style!-A-guide-to-Epic-Goreshade

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. First things first. Fujin asks how I can find eSkarre boring and Terminus entertaining, which is a fair question considering that Terminus rarely does anything except walk forward and end the game.

    It comes down to the fact, that nothing I do with my army truly matters when I play Terminus: I can send my army out on long-shot assignments, or purge half my Bane Thralls to kill a single solo, without seriously impacting my ability to win.

    When I play eSkarre I have one interesting model with neat tricks, that I need to keep safe, and 29 additional models I need to pamper in order to win. When I play Terminus I have one model I rarely need to protect, and 28 models I can throw away on neat tricks (can't throw Admonia away, hence the 28).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabor: I know the Coven is hard, which is why I'm considering them. I can see some interesting plays with Erebus, and while they're primarily an assassination caster, I think I can run scenario with them.

    I did read the eGoreshade guide a while back, and I'm pretty sure he'll be next in line. I don't really see him as being all that interesting, but the ability to sacrifice models to stupid plays, and get them back later, does indeed appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear :) I'm currently running only eShade in the league, and he's doing quite well. That feat is just NASTY, esp. with 10 bane knights.
    Also, he is very good at scenarios, being able to generate a huge score distance with resurrecting solos and part of units.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not that big on eSkarre either. She can play a fun shooty list though!

    I'd suggest the Coven. They're different, have a strong spell list and are a ton of fun with Perfect Conjunction (what I still have focus left?). I like them a lot. I'm designing a two Leviathan Coven list right now. The credit goes to your earlier post on the Leviathan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been playing Coven for our recently ended Journeyman League. I probably made it harder on myself by choosing to play thehir theme force, but I *like* fielding 2 full units of Soulhunters (who start with bonus souls). =)

    I can definitely say that the theme force should not be played attrition. At least, not with 2X Soulhunters. But they do a good job of sweeping and clearing infantry.

    I'm taking my current 35-point theme force list to Warmachine Weekend this weekend. And I'll try a beefier 50-point tier 3 theme force as well. Maybe even a radically different tier 4 list (with no Deathjack). I don't expect to *win* much (it's my first real tournament experience), but I think it should be fun. And a learning experience.

    -David

    ReplyDelete