Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

eGorman: The filthy traitor

I had two games tonight, against a new player at the club. We were doing eighteen point games, so I could learn about managing Fury, and he could get some games under his belt.

Lord Exhumator Scaverous
- Ripjaw
Rorsh & Brine
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw

Vs.

Iron Lich Asphyxious
- Deathripper
- Deathripper
- Leviathan
Skarlock
Pistol Wraith
Gorman

His army is part of a Journeyman league type project, or he probably wouldn't have brought the Leviathan, but I still thought I was the one in trouble.

The first game saw him overextend his two Deathrippers, and Brine/Snapjaw with Ghost Walk and TK took one down each. I probably would have lost after the Leviathan took down Brine in return, but Gorman got to close to Snapjaw and got himself engaged instead of locking it down with Black Oil. This allowed a Feat + Icy Grip + TK + Snapjaw in the back, and... chomp. We had a good talk about engaging models and activation sequences (the Pistol Wraith could have locked down Snapjaw as well, if he had gone before Gorman)

The second game featured a change in strategy, and the armies danced around each other. I wasn't really sure how to crack the line, but before any real harm was done, Gorman intervened again and placed himself near pGaspy. While I couldn't get to pGaspy, I could get to Gorman with the extra inches of range on Snapjaw, and THEN I could get to pGaspy with the tail.

I'm not sure I learned a lot, but I did get a bit more comfortable with managing two lesser warlocks and a warcaster at once. It's a lot of Focus/Fury being leeched and allocated each round, but I think I've got it covered for the first round, and TK/Ghost Walk really helps to keep the locks in range of their pets.

I was really lucky with the critical knockdowns as well, but I have to admit that having two heavies with the ability makes for some interesting plays. With boosted charge attacks I get the benefit of hitting on average dice against most casters, with boosted damage, and increasing the chances of a knockdown at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment