Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Garlghast Girl Power

I've been threatening you with The Witch Coven of Garlghast for a while now, but I could never really put together a list that would work with the way I usually play (Hjelmen calls it defensive and reactive, which is a pretty good description). I usually design my lists to withstand whatever my opponent throws at me, and then sucker punch him when he overextends, and that probably won't work with the bondage girls.

To the bondage mobile! Power up the greenish floating reactor!
Then I tried figuring out what they needed from an army to, which turned out to be a damn long list of things to include so that didn't work either (not a great caster for a sudoko list attempt). I gave up and found some advice in posts from Vermithrax & Ressurection so I think I'll be trying this tonight (ns = non stealth).
The Witch Coven of Garlghast
- Deathripper (ns)
- Deathripper (ns)
- Scavenger (ns)
- Scavenger (ns)
- Malice
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts)
- Bane Thrall Officer & Standard
The Withershadow Combine
Bane Lord Tartarus
Gorman di Wulfe
Saxon Orrik
Skarlock Thrall (ns)
Warwitch Siren
Warwitch Siren
I wanted to include the Scavengers because I rarely get to field them, and with Infernal Machine they could do some damage. In case my opponent brings a lot of non-fearless models there's also the Terror-bird tactic to consider (Ghost Walk + Infernal Machine Scavengers can run 18" inflicting Terror on anything they encounter). I also see some potential in using Nightfall very offensively after running two Terror Birds around his army and planting them both on his caster when they're done.

Screw you puppy, I'm a TERROR bird!
Two Deathrippers because the Coven sadly needs Arc Nodes, but I like the option of killing people with speed nine melee lights if the Arc Node falls off. Malice should have Occultation to keep it safe. Bane Thralls, because I need a train to keep my opponent busy while the tricky parts do their job, and with twelve Bane Thralls coming at him the options to maneuver becomes limited and mistakes occur (hopefully). Sprinkle on stealth support models and it's done but I have no idea how this will play out.

5 comments:

  1. I am amused at the terror bird tactic, even if it likely won't do much. I'd like to see Privateer Press do more to make terror a more reliable tactic, but I guess that's more characteristic of 40k anyway.

    I really like this list and it seems like a lot of fun, actually. I'd love to see a battle report to see how it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying out a dual Leviathan list with the Coven, but haven't given it that many spins yet. The general idea was to deploy them on both sides of the Coven, cycle infernal machine in the first turn and have them run 14ish. Then run the Egregore into B2B with them to give them stealth. I also like the idea of using Blackbane's for more denial, either before or after Nightfall to totally annoy the opponent for an extended number of turns xD Come to think about it, I might have to work some more on that list in the near future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of a reach jack with them. Nightmare being my go-to but lately Sancjud has influenced me to return to the Reaper which is also working well. I'm curious to see how the Scavenger works out. A single Stalker up the middle has also netted me some wins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Reaper was in my first list design, but I sat there looking at my Malice and I never get to play with her these days :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erebus is going in next time. Hitting defense sixteen with Nightfall up will be hard for a lot of heavies.

    ReplyDelete