Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Mohsar Vs. Karchev

I got a game against Bitmatic from the Privateer Press forums, which was nice because I so rarely get to face him. He decided to try out Karchev for the first time
Karchev the Terrible
- Berserker
- Kodiak
- Spriggan
Battle Mechaniks (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Doom Reavers (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Kayazy Assassins (Leader and 9 Grunts)
- Kayazy Assassin Underboss
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Gorman di Wulfe
Koldun Lord
Man-o-war Drakhun (with dismount)
Not the most optimized list but Karchev on full camp is still a hard nut to crack, and then I noticed I didn't have my Megalith proxy. In order to avoid filling the table with really crazy proxies (I really really need my models soon) I switched in a Feral and bumped Lanyssa to a LoTF.
Mohsar the Desertwalker
- Gorax
- Feral Warpwolf
- Shadowhorn Satyr
- Shadowhorn Satyr
Tharn Bloodtrackers (Leader and 9 Grunts)
. Nuala the Huntress
Wolves of Orboros (Leader and 9 Grunts)
- Wolf of Orboros Officer & Standard
Blackclad Wayfarer
Blackclad Wayfarer
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove
Lord of the Feast
I really missed my hordes of infantry, and lining up the full unit of Wolves felt really satisfying. I won the roll and terrain made it beneficial to go second since Karchev would have to split up his forces to avoid the giant tower placed right in front of his deployment zone.




I still had three heavies, and this time I brought two Shadowhorn Satyrs. I've had so much fun with them when running Mohsar that I decided to try out two of them (The Gnarlhorn is standing in for the Second Satyr... I need those models). Trackers decided that Doom Reavers would be prey-of-the-day, and he began the running.


Ye old pile of jacks


The Assassins ran around the tower, and one of them ran within Abomination range which probably cost him the game when the dice failed him, but I was not immune to dumbass mistakes either, though mine came later.




He pulled away his Doom Reavers and ran them out on the flank with some plan in mind I couldn't quite grasp, but with them out of my hair I was free to focus on keeping the pile-o-jacks away, and Mohsar just happens to have the perfect tool: Pillars. Since I had no Megalith I was unable to put up a complete wall and had to settle for three while putting up Mirage on the Wolves, and I realized that my feat did exactly nothing in this match-up.




I wasn't going to get much out of the LoTF anyway so I decided to throw a wrench in his repair facility instead, and using the Spriggan as a raven target he whirled through half the mechanics but sadly they passed their terror test. Still, I had built a castle and I had trouble seeing how he was going to get out of receiving a charge. Turns out he wasn't, and he just lined up to take it. The Doom Reavers came running back in but the Trackers passed their check. I lost a couple of models and the LoTF got stomped but nothing of importance. I think he underestimated the Wolves so after I popped CoS on the Spriggan I activated them and charged, leaving Mohsar on four Fury and looking pretty stupid.




Woo boy I like Wolves of Orboros. I completely messed up placement and attempted to take on three heavies at once, which predictably didn't go well, but the Spriggan was down to a single functional system and the Berserker was so banged up that a primal Shadowhorn could finish the job. The Doom Reavers were wiped by the Trackers, and the Feral moved up to prepare for Karchev.




He used his feat and Unearthly Rage, mauled my Shadowhorn with the Kodiak, locked the other Shadowhorn down with Black Oil, and his Assassins took down some Trackers, but do you see the line going from Feral to Karchev, because he didn't. Finally after seven games I used Hunters Mark, and with speed warp the Feral got in. Curse of Shadows + Primal + Hunters Mark was enough to take Karchev down, and I really felt comfortable this time... Infantry rocks.
  • I don't need two Shadowhorn Satyrs.
  • I didn't miss the Shifting Stones much.
  • I missed Megalith a lot.
  • Wolves of Orboros are my new best friends.
  • Reach models are great with Mohsar.
  • Trackers are great, but I think I'll go with a minimum unit next time.
Mohsar is a real bastard for Cryx to face, and I think it's about time for a "know your enemy" article on him.

/Lamoron

No comments:

Post a Comment