Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Terminus Challenge: Saeryn

As expected I got my ass handed to me tonight, and the unthinkable happened: Terminus died! I left my data cable at work, and imageshack isn't keen on cooperating with my smartphone, so pictures will have to wait. The list he was using:

Saeryn, Omen of Everblight
- Nephilim Bolt Thrower
- Raek
- Shredder
- Carnivean
- Scythean
- Typhon
Blackfrost Shard
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
The Forsaken
The Forsaken

I was using my tweaked version of the Terminus list, which is going to receive another tweak tomorrow. My opponent thought it was pretty funny, and he never realized how badly I would have destroyed him without Saeryns feat, so that's another nice thing I can gain from looking like an idiot: being underestimated.
The short version of round 1 
He ran, then I ran.
The short version of round 2 
He charged and popped his feat, then I did almost nothing (well the Gun Boar threw the Cankerworm at Saeryn, and was just half an inch short of hitting her, which would have been pretty epic since I could then have shot her dead with Rorsh if I rolled well). I killed a grand total of three models, but one of them was a BFS member, and I killed it with a charging Machine Wraith!
The short version of round 3
He mauled my army until I had just nine models left, then I thought I had him but missed five consecutive attack rolls on 7+ with Terminus, since my opponent got close enough for a charge. I had to hit with two of them to win (since the initial attack hit and forced her to transfer 19 damage to the Scythean), but no such luck (why must the dice choose such a game to punish my hubris!)

Then in a moment of pure spite I blew up everything with the four remaining Bile Thralls, inflicting EPIC damage with them, and almost turning the game around. The four Bile Thralls combined, inflicted more than 60 damage to his battlegroup, killing the Raek, Typhon, and allowing Admonia to take down the Carnivean. Sadly the Scythean survived with about ten health, and with Saeryn, some damage from free strikes I took while going for him, and the remains of the BFS they managed to take down Terminus.
Summary 
I could have taken the game, but the dice didn't agree, and I couldn't put myself in a situation where I could survive rolling poorly. The Cankerworm had two attacks on Saeryn as well, but without Focus her high defense proved impossible to hit. I had fun of course, but I would have liked to take the game, since I consider Saeryn a contender for the title of worst match-up.

The Epic Bile Thralls, the Machine Wraith that killed a member of the BFS on a charge, and the Gun Boar that threw my Cankerworm at Saeryn, made the match extremely entertaining, and while I'm going to shuffle around some points I think the Gun Boar is staying.

/Lamoron

No comments:

Post a Comment